Tuesday, June 17, 2014

The Sign Out Front Says $10 Tarot Readings




                Most Intuitives and Readers are very proud of our skill and work hard and study for years before we offer out our services.  There are a few ‘actors’ and of course those that pick up a deck and prey on the general public.  While writing this article I found myself getting up and heading to the kitchen, letting the dogs out and also chatting with people online.  Anything I could do to procrastinate research and writing about this particular topic; just the thought of people being scammed by someone who takes something I believe in and bastardize what I think of as  serious profession and in the hands of a skilled Reader, could really help someone. 

How do I identify if I am about to walk into a scam?

First off, there are several red flags when getting a reading.  Whatever the price of the reading is set at, that should be the end of the discussion unless you’ve decided on more ‘time’ for the reading.  A 15 minute readings turning into 30 minutes etc…  I am in full support of charging for readings and even accepting a suitable trade for the reader’s time.  We do not go to the movies, or ask our hairdresser to trim us up for free.

~It’s a CURSE!!!  If the reader insists you have a curse on you and request large sums of money to remove it.  Readers with your best intention at hand will explain nothing is set in stone and you have the ability to change the possible course in which you are headed.  Simply explained:  “Tarot is a road map, you can take a glimpse at the things that are and can possibly be by distinct patterns.”

~Requests you bring things to the reading such as: Eggs, candles, flowers, honey etc…  why you ask?  This is a ploy to set up a ritual and get you hooked to the scam.

~They request you do not tell anyone about the reading or what went on during the reading itself.  I allow all of my patrons to record the reading using their phones, and when the technology is available I provide a CD of the entire session and they can choose if they want to play/share their reading or not. 

~Someone dressed as gypsy (outside of Halloween).  Most readers I come across wear normal clothes and depending on the situation will even wear suits.  I personally have polo shirts with my name stitched on the left side.

Real psychics and Tarot readers will allow you to leave the reading feeling confident and empowered to make the best choice for your own future and you’ll still have your savings and checkbook intact.  No discussion of future payments, curses and or rituals to bring you the things you need.  Suggestions or books, or even other professionals (doctors, lawyers, contractors, and even more qualified councilors) can provide useful if you are need of help that is beyond the intuitive capabilities. 


By now you must be wondering why I titled this article the way I did.  

It’s not easy for me to admit, but I had almost gotten scammed myself.  For fun, my husband and I stopped in to a storefront psychic shop close to his work while waiting on a movie.Out front there was a sign that read ‘Tarot Readings $10’, being a reader myself I figured this would be a short 3 card 10 minute reading.  Interested I had him stop and against my better judgment I went in; you see I am very cautious about who I allow in my energy for readings and the list is limited to around 3 people.  Upon entering the shop, one girl answered the door and requested that I stay outside and wait, there was a huge waiting room inside and I couldn't figure out why they would ask me to wait in a parking lot.  Alright, might have had another customer so I complied.  About 10 minutes later a tall slender woman asked me to come in, the placed reeked of cigarette smoke and someone’s dinner.  The woman herself was unshowered (probably at least 2 days) and was clad in a spaghetti strapped tank top stained of said dinner and accompanied with a pair of flannel pajama bottoms. 
Taking my own advice and never judging a book by its cover and told her I saw her $10 Tarot sign and would like a Tarot reading.  Smiling politely she proceeded to pull a well-worn deck from a trunk, and asked me to sit on the sofa.  Asking me if I had any questions I simply said business and my relationship:  The background on these two focus subjects were because I am business focused and Tarot Obsessed lol I wanted to see if the cards were trying to tell me to slow down.  After the shuffled she began to deal out the cards, what I saw first ruffled my feathers just slightly.  She was advertising ‘Tarot’ and was using an Oracle deck and passing it off to the general public as Tarot, please don’t get me wrong I have nothing against Oracle Decks but I just do not fell as connected to them and she was advertising Tarot after all.  What’s the difference, you’re asking?  Tarot has 4 suits like a playing card deck and has 22 Trump cards or known as the Major Arcana numbered from 0-21.  Oracle cards often have small blurbs written on the bottom and come in decks of 20-30 with and no basic rules to follow with their design.

Subsequently, a few moments went by and she said I had a lot of negative blockage *nodding* I thought, “This could be true, I have been stumped and unable to even journal lately.”  Proceeding she went to explain my marriage was bad, it was going to fail and the man I married was angry and vengeful.  RED FLAG moment:  This is when my brain brushed off the cobwebs.  I was wearing my wedding rings, but the catch was that my husband is a great man.  Never raises his voice and is a Paramedic and firefighter/EMT before that and is the most sensitive and fair person anyone will ever meet (Scorpio Sun with Libra in 6 houses and Libra Rising for you Astrology buffs).  I was newlywed and knew him from High School in Ohio and we reconnected again in Florida where we were both now living. 

The Actual Shop

Second, she said the business would be very good if I could remove these mental blocks.  If I couldn't, then I would be fired and possibly lose my job.  By now my hypothetical claws were digging into the dirt as I was refusing to go along with her ride, being fired from my job was impossible due to the fact I own my own Tarot Reading business and also do photography on the side.  When I go to see a reader I never ever tell them I am in the business, my personal experience is they tend to become nervous and the last thing I want to do is break their concentration.  As it was coming to a close, the reader then proceeded to encourage me to the purchase some bath salts from her and use them to help cleanse.  Secondly, she wanted $200 to pray for my negative energy to be removed and to purchase things like candles and what not for a ritual.  This is when I shook my head, and said, “I’m sorry but I don’t have that kind of money.”  As I reached for the $10 bill she took it and said the reading will be $40, after that I proceeded to tell her all the things she misread and that I was indeed a reader of 21 years and I did not appreciate her trying to swindle me.  Willingly I gave her the $30 extra and told her to keep it, she was going to need it.


This was the most painful reading of my life, a lesson learned here and a new found respect for myself and the wonderful readers I have met and whom have become friends along the way.

0 comments :

Post a Comment